Saturday, April 21, 2007

What ever happened to Christopher Pettiet?


Letter from his manager.
One of my young clients, Christopher Pettiet, age 24, died of a accidental drug overdose last Wednesday, April 12. 2000. I met Chris a good 10 years ago, when he was best friends with Tobey Maguire, to whom, in my bumbling fashion (and for sad lack of Tobey having a better offer) I was makeshift manager.
Chris was hip and cool and rich at that time ó and the most flashy and successful of a young trio of actor/friends centered by Tobey and bookended on the other side by Leonardo DiCaprio. He starred in "The Young Riders" TV series, and in several films and TV movies, including "Don't Tell Mom the Baby-sitter's Dead."
Chris was on the small side when he was a kid. He was tiny and all legs and big blue eyes, and would most commonly sit like a frog when he was talking to you. He loved to surf, sneak out of his bedroom window at night to run around with his friends, listen to obnoxious music so loud that it would literally make his car bounce up and down with the bass-beats. He grew up to be over 6 feet tall, every bit as hip and cool, and, when life got tough and acting jobs became fewer, just about impoverished -- living from one small residual check to the next.
I ended up working as his manager for the past four years, always desperately walking the fine line between giving Chris support, covering up his problems and occasional catastrophes, and forcing him to face facts and take responsibility for the numerous things he did, and did not do, which made life much harder for him. I'm proud to say that I cheated and schemed and lied on behalf of Chris to keep him in favor with his agents and casting directors, and keep his career moving forward regardless of all the personal problems which kept coming forth to clobber him -- some of his own making, some just cruel fate.
I'll take it as a compliment from Chris that, for all my pompous, self-important arm-chair quarter-backing on how he should live his life (as if this colorful, mess of a life which is my own qualified me to advise anyone on how to do anything!), he never fired me as his manager for more than five hours at a time.
Chris would never, ever, admit to me that he had a problem with drugs, but so damnable old and so painfully experienced and opinionated, I spent the past two years trying to convince him to go with mutual friends to AA meetings (he went to a couple), or find some other organization to help him get a better handle on his life.
It's bitterly ironic that Chris cared so much about my opinion on innumerable things, yet felt he could never admit to me that he had a drug problem (despite the fact I obviously knew). How sad and stupid that Chris would think it would lessen my opinion of him or make me see him as anything less than just simply Chris, who I cared about and wanted to help.
I've reached a point in my life where, in order to preserve what little sanity I have left, I believe my achievements are more worthy than my failures. And I truly believe I helped Chris through a lot of difficult years and situations, and truly do not believe the loss of Chris is my failure ó but isn't it strange how what you believe is not always in agreement with what you feel?
Now the armchair quarterback is back in his office, alone and pounding these damned typewriter keys, wishing I could have found a word or a gesture or a strategy that would have not only prevented this stupid outcome for Chris, but could have convinced Chris of all the terrific things he could have had, and could have been and, in fact, all the wonderful things Chris already was. Including flawed, which we, all of use, are.
I know that, just these few days later, Chris is already of The Past, which I can never, ever change. And I know that now, I can only take his unnecessarily fear-filled friendship, his earnest love (and his sometimes frog-like beauty), and reinvest it in some future Chrises.
Whose futures, with this secret, unspoken piece of Chris which I shall so tenderly and lovingly place within them, should turn out -- please God -- much finer and brighter for the troubles Chris had to go through.
Bob
Chris' mom, Helen, had asked that, in lieu of flowers, anyone who would like to remember Chris should please do so by making whatever small contribution they might care to, to the young people's acting studio where Chris got his start ó and always felt appreciated and welcomed, even as an adult. It would have made Chris happy to know that some other young, hopeful kids, could find the support and opportunity he found there.
The Christopher Pettiet Scholarship c/o Center Stage L.A. Attn: Kevin McDermott P.O. Box 1368 Culver City, CA 90232

36 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aquel chico angelical que tantas fantasías protagonizó y cuantas pajas motivó.

Anonymous said...

Chris will be missed. I truly enjoyed his work and am so very sad that he was taken from us. Please, people, don't mess with drugs. Drugs lie, they cheat, they steal, and they kill. Rest in peace, Dear Chris. ♥

rhonda said...

R.I.p Chris you were blessed to let the world see your talent you won't be forgotten !!!

rhonda said...

May god bless his family

TJP said...

Lil Chris, I still see you. I still hear you. I still love you, old friend. You will never be forgotten, this I vow.

Unknown said...

Chris was my cousin and was so beloved in our family. The artistic, creative side ran in his family but he was able to capatilize on his awesome talent. We miss him dearly and had no idea that he had such awful demons troubling him at such a young age. Most of his family was in Texas and he probably felt very alone in a city and an industry that can eat you alive if you don't have the right kind of support. God bless those that tried to help him. Chris you are cherished and will always be missed until we see you again. Much love, Donna

Unknown said...

Chris was my cousin and was so beloved in our family. The artistic, creative side ran in his family but he was able to capatilize on his awesome talent. We miss him dearly and had no idea that he had such awful demons troubling him at such a young age. Most of his family was in Texas and he probably felt very alone in a city and an industry that can eat you alive if you don't have the right kind of support. God bless those that tried to help him. Chris you are cherished and will always be missed until we see you again. Much love, Donna

LeftieStar99 said...

Why do people think Christopher was gay? He was 24 and as far as I can see on the internet he wasn't seeing any guys. Like Brad Renfro, his looks and connections with gay directors etc leant he ended up playing gay roles. It doesn't mean he was gay in real life...Renfro wasn't gay.

LeftieStar99 said...

Where is the proof he was gay? Like Brad Renfro he was given gay roles by gay directors because of his good looks. They were both surrounded by paedophiles too and they both accidentally overdosed too - hot dosed more like.

Unknown said...

Chris was a terrific actor,with the prettiest blue eyes, I've ever seen. Even though 15 years have passed, he's still missed.

Unknown said...

Sorry you had to go threw all of those things that were hard in your life,that happens to people everyday sorry you had to kill yourself. Sincerly,Paige Whitney







Unknown said...

Sweet boy <3

mondayistomorrow said...

I know this is really old, however, I was shocked when I read the following:

"I'm proud to say that I cheated and schemed and lied on behalf of Chris to keep him in favor with his agents and casting directors, and keep his career moving forward regardless of all the personal problems which kept coming forth to clobber him"

I don't know if you see yourself like I do, however, it sounds like you are ecstatic you were an enabler. I showed this to my girlfriend and she pointed the exact same thing out without me hinting this to her. I'm more blunt with my words than she is, such as stating the fact that all the bending you did to cover up for him rather than let him face reality and consequences for his actions asserts that you may have been a contributing factor of his continuation of drug use that ultimately took his life.

Liz Jordan said...

I'm reading this in Ireland in 2016 and what a brilliant tribute to this young man by his manager who obviously cared about him very much and did everything he could to help. I hope the foundation was a great success for all concerned, especially his kind manager.

Austin001 said...

So sad another talented young man lost his life to drugs. RIP Chris.

Chuck S said...

Such a handsome young actor,, with a lot of potential,, if only...

Unknown said...

Love this actor on "the young riders". c.Harris

Unknown said...

Who cares if he was gay that's all I know he was an awesome actor he will be missed but never forgotten! RIP
GOD BLESS IS FAMILY AND FRIENDS!♡♡♡

Unknown said...

Who cares if he was gay that's all I know he was an awesome actor he will be missed but never forgotten! RIP
GOD BLESS IS FAMILY AND FRIENDS!♡♡♡

Unknown said...

WISH THINGS COULD HAVE BEEN DIFFERENT!
RIP CHRIS! No one's perfect! We live our life to the fullest!! That's all I know, he's up to heavens looking down on the one's he loved and like. God bless his family and friends!

Unknown said...

WISH THINGS COULD HAVE BEEN DIFFERENT!
RIP CHRIS! No one's perfect! We live our life to the fullest!! That's all I know, he's up to heavens looking down on the one's he loved and like. God bless his family and friends!

Anonymous said...

PLEASE GOOGLE BOB VILLARD, THAT WAS THIS CHILD ACTORS AGENT & MANAGER PLUS MANY MORE STILL IN HOLLYWOOD INDUSTRY, SOME PASSED ON DUE TO DRUG OVERDOSE, & REASONS BEHIND IT WERE COVERED UP, GOOGLE CHILD ACTORS WHO CAME OUT STATING THEY WERE MOLESTED & RAPED BY HOLLYWOOD PEDOPHILES IN THE INDUSTRY. SPREAD THE WORD & HELP BUT A STOP THIS DISGUSTINGLY MONEY MAKING INDUSTRY PREYING ON YOUNG INNOCENT CHILDREN.

Unknown said...

Totally agree...I got the same thing out of that sentence.

Anonymous said...

In 2005, Villard was back in court and pleaded no contest to the felony charge of committing a lewd act on a child. The victim was a 13-year-old boy who sought him out as an acting coach. Villard is serving an eight-year prison sentence.

Anonymous said...

VILLARD’S A PERVERT!

mondayistomorrow said...

It never cases to amaze me how dumb people are to reply with a fuckin political statement on a 12 year old post. We know that pedophiles are prominent in Hollywood area. All that the sex offender list of when it happened, how old the victim was (ie 1-100), and if there are still considered dangerous. Now kindly fuck off with this bullshit and leave the man in peace.

Anonymous said...

Bob Villard molested Chris. Do the research. He's a pedophile who should be locked up.....again.
"An Open Secret" gives a bit of details about Bob but people in the business know his deal. Parents, keep your children away from these hollywood predators!!

Anonymous said...

I love how a couple of you morons trash talk Christopher when you barely knew him or never even having met him in person. Pathetic acting like you know christopher better than his own loving family did. He was a kind soul who succumbed to his own demons. Quit trash talking people who never hurt you. Find a better hobby or better yet a psychiatrist.

Unknown said...

Rip Chris, You were very handsome

Anonymous said...

Yes he was very handsome.

Unknown said...

Chris was gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

Amen to that.

Unknown said...

He was molested! That doesn't just make him gay! He was groomed and bred into child trafficking his manager was arrested and many others. He was turned into drugs by these adults. Terrible he is associated as just a gay man bcz he was molested by men! Sick

Unknown said...

Because he was molested by men...terrible ppl say that and call him a junky. He was on drugs by 11

Anonymous said...

There is no evidence that has come to light that Chris was molested. Same with other child actors who people just "assume" were groomed. Jonathan Brandis, Brad Renfro, Jonathan Taylor Thomas, River Phoenix. etc. Your Internet posts and theories do not porve anything.

Anonymous said...

This “manager” was a pedophile that groomed many boys in the industry. He was an abuser, exploiter and a piece of shit who caused so much trauma.